Thursday, July 26, 2007

Appreciation Post: Afghan Whigs




Gushing about the Singles Soundtrack brough me back and I suddenly found myself back in love with The Afghan Whigs. I go through phases, revisiting bands that I haven't listened to in a while, but when I find myself in an Afghan Whigs phase, it can get bad...

There was a time in high school where many a boring night in small town Nova Scotia was filled with long drives and singing Afghan Whigs songs with my best buds - and although the stereo in my celebrity eurosport wasn't all that great, we made it work. We'd get so excited about every song, and talk about how sexy Dulli's voice is, and how amazing the chick that sings on "my curse" is, and how we'd love the band for ever and ever and ever. Sadly, the Twilight Singers came along and ruined everything, but at least the Whigs got to retire without sucking.

The Cover: Lost in the Supermarket (Clash Cover)
The Live Song: Blame, etc. (Live)
The Classic:



True story: I met a guy who used to live with Greg Dulli once. Or was his house sitter. I kind of freaked out and ran around telling people who I knew would find that as amazing as I, and we crowded around the guy and made him tell us everything he could about the experience. He thought we'd be put off by the fact that "Greg's kind of an asshole", but we weren't surprised, nor deterred. We gave him our undivided attention and hung on every word he was willing to offer. That man made Gentlemen...and Black Love... please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course Dulli's an asshole! how could he not be? "I've got a dick for a brain, and my brain's gonna sell my ass to you." so good! thanks. i re-ordered Gentleman the other day. i hope it comes in soon.