Friday, June 15, 2007

'There is A House in New Orleans...'

There was a brief period in my life when the only song I wanted to hear was "House of the Rising Sun". Not only is it fun to sing (you get to yell if you want to) and very easy to play, but it's a stellar classic song that dates back to God knows when. In fact, according to Wikipedia, its origin is up for debate.

Once I realized that I loved the song, I spent many a night by my stereo with the radio tuned in to "GTO: Good Time Oldies" on CJLS waiting for it to come on so I could record it onto a tape (yes, this was back before MP3s existed. I'm not old, I just sound like I am) and although it took several long evenings listening to GTO religiously, I got the song and I listened to it until the tape almost fell apart. I had an old bass but no amp, so I would plug in to my parents' stereo when no one was home and play it, singing along at the top of my lungs. And I thought I was damned good too. Although I never made it to rock superstardom, I never lost my love for the song.

This morning I came across this blog which posted many versions of "House..", and was lead to this page, which hosts different versions by everyone from Hank Williams to DJs to Marianne Faithful, Dylan, Hendrix, and more. Plus tons of people who I've never heard of, but I'm sure they do a good job. Is it possible to listen to just ONE song all day long, you ask? Well, if there are 262 different versions, then I would say it is.

The Animals
David Allan Coe version
Nina Simone
DJ Clone

No comments: