Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Just Saw Leonard Cohen

(photo from Halifax Herald)

Leonard Cohen. May 12. Rebecca Cohn Auditorium. Halifax, NS. 8-11pm.

Brilliant and beautiful, last night's show was all that I was hoping it would be and more. Spectacular band, lighting, sound, voice, crowd... I've loved Len for years, but now I just might be obsessed. Maybe obsessed isn't the right word. But...either way, whatever I am, that show was UNbelievable. One of the top 3 best concerts I've ever seen. And I've danced on stage with Pearl Jam, watched Radiohead in a soft seat theatre on their last tour, saw the legendary BB King, the White Stripes in a small pool hall with about 60 other people, Wilco on the Waterfront, Do Make Say Think outside in a field at sunset, and my first big show was Bob Dylan in the 1990s.

Set List:
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. There Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Anthem (Ring the Bells)
INTERMISSION
9. Tower of Song
10. Suzanne
11. Gypsy Wife
12. Boogie Street
13. Hallelujah
14. Democracy
15. I'm Your Man
16. Take This Waltz
ENCORE
17. Heart With No Companion
18. So Long Marianne
19. First We Take Manhattan
ENCORE 2
20. Closing Time
ENCORE 3
21. I Tried to Leave You

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I'm living in Dublin, Ireland and I had the ultimate pleasure of attending leonard's concert on Saturday last, June 14th in Kilmainham modern art museum in Dublin. I've been a fan since I was 17. 21 years now. From the moment I popped that borrowed tape in the player I was hooked. He has been with me since. And here's the thing since I saw him in concert something has changed in me. I can't get enough of him. Morning,noon and night. i have become what I can best discribe as, obsessed.. am I? He is amazing, his poetry, his play with words, he is a genius. Is it normal to feel such admiration for someone so meek, humble and unassuming. But maybe that is the reason? in our crazy mixed up world beauty and peace can exist in such a form. At 74 he is a miracle. I regretted not booking tickets for more nights but now feel a member of a very privileged club. Hope you don't mind me replying but to your blog.
- Julie in Ireland

Anonymous said...

not at all!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I missed this post.
Hallelujah?
suzanne? SUZANNE!
so long marianne, in my secret life, the future, what was I THINKING!?

i suck.