Monday, December 03, 2007

Top 5 of 2007

Although there were a number of contenders that didn't end up making my Top 5 Albums of the Year List (I'm looking at you Do Make Say Think, Nathan Lawr, Thurston Moore, Kayne, Common, Blonde Redhead, The Acorn, Bruce, Nate...), I had no problem leaving them out in favour of my top picks. I usually debate my year end list and have a hard time committing, but not this year. Based purely on the number of plays each album has received throughout the year, I give you ... my Top 5 of 2007

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows
2. Wintersleep - Welcome To The Night Sky
3. Dan Griffin - Stars and Satellites
4. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
5. Wooden Stars - People Are Different

BAM. Now more lists... because i love making lists...

My top 5 (.5) most anticipated releases of 2008:

1. Constantines
2. Snailhouse
3. Contrived
4. Hayden
5. MM&ET
5.5 Portishead

Top 3 disappointments of 2007:

1. Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight (no dice. superbad.)

2. PJ Harvey - White Chalk (i still love her because she's PJ... and it's not a BAD album... it's just not the PJ that i wanted or needed at the time. I wanted "50 ft. Queenie" PJ. Not PJ plays Cat Power.)

3. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (speaking of sinking...I actually didn't have high hopes for this one... but it still let me down.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wintersleep is lovely.

The Rilo Kiley was a little bit of a disappointment. I can't disagree. Its far more 'pop' than their previous albums, but likely will get them the mainstream attention they are looking for... i just hope they dont lose their roots.